Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fishin' in Colorado

When I started this blog a little over a week ago, I had no idea what I was doing or where it would lead.  I love to fly fish and see lots of other fly fishers out there blogging, so I thought it would be fun to try.  What's cool is that the first subscribers are all from the Western US and two of you are in Colorado (Thanks!!).

I fished for the first time in Colorado, and out West for that matter, last year after a business trip in Denver.  A friend of a friend was into fly fishing and put me on some nice water outside of Boulder the first evening and guided me on the Big Thompson in RMNP the following day.  I also took the short hike up to Dream Lake that afternoon, before hopping on a red eye back to Boston.

Small Brownie - UDL

Nice Rainbow - UDL
 Here are some of the pics from the pleasure part of my business trip last year in late August (all the fish were released unharmed, although I need get better at capturing these beauties in their natural environs).
Small Brownie - Big Thompson RMNP

Little Brookie - Big Thompson RMNP

Dream Lake - RMNP
Cutthroat - Dream Lake RMNP
Cutthroat - Dream Lake RMNP

I had such a blast fishing 1 1/2 days in Colorado, we decided to plan a family vacation this summer staying near Grand Lake, fishing/hiking RMNP and the surrounding area.  This is our first family summer vacation away from New England in over 15 years, so it will be very interesting and fun exploring the Rockies for the first time with my family.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on. Oh yeah, the background pic on the blog site is also from the Big Thompson in RMNP.

3 comments :

  1. Great pics! glad you had a lot of fun...the Big T and Poudre are my "home" waters. I haven't done a ton of exploring in RMNP, but plan on fishing it a ton this summer...the pictures of the cutties just motivated me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sanders. The hike up to Dream Lake is easy. I was told if you keep going a bit further, Lake Haiyaha is also good. Pick up Steve Schweitzer's book "A Fly Fishing Guide to RMNP". It is packed with good info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no other place in the world like Colorado. Check out Kirk's Fly Shop in Estes Park for information and flies.

    ReplyDelete