Thursday, March 22, 2012

Changing the World One Fish at a Time

We live through the eyes of our children. Not sure who said this, but I truly enjoy being a parent and watching my kids turning into adults. My son, Matt, is in his senior year in high school and is very excited to be attending Paul Smiths College next fall to study Fisheries and Wildlife Science.

While we are very proud and excited for Matt, we will miss having him around. This guy got me started in fly fishing and tying -- we go to the fly fishing shows, we've spent a lot of time on the water together and share our love for the outdoors in ways that are hard to put into words.

Matt had a school assignment to create a video with the theme "What did you do to Change the World". His choice was to show how he brought the love of fly fishing, conservation and the outdoors to his friends and family.


I will miss my favorite fishing buddy next fall, but I look forward to visits and continuing our fishing companionship during the next phase of his journey through life. 

8 comments :

  1. Very nice video and some very mature thoughts. You're a lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Howard. I do feel lucky, but probably just a bit jealous that he's got it figured out at a young age. I'm not even there yet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for checking in, Sean. Matt's just getting started on his journey and it looks like it's in a good direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done.
    Matt sure has the right idea, one fish at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. I truly owe my love of the sport to my son. One couldn't ask for anything better.

      Hope you are recovering from the recent illness.

      Delete
  6. That was a great video and Matt is truly sharing the passion. Matt seems like a fine young man that has his head on straight. Wish him lots of luck and success in the future. Don't worry Dad, they come home and the time spent on the water or in the woods may be limited but just as special if not more so.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind and insightful words, Jim. I'm really looking forward to visiting him in the Adirondacks - there are some fine fishing opportunities in that part of the country.

      Delete