Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bluegill, Bass and some weekly ramblings...

Native Fallfish on Parachute Adams
I know, this is not a bass or a bluegill. The week started out with high hopes of landing some trout on a local river. The mid-week conditions where good -- normal flows, warming stream temps and a decent mayfly hatch. Nymphs, streamers and dries where all used and the only fish to hand were these native fallfish. These are aggressive little guys that go after your dry with reckless abandon.  Only saw a couple of trout rising and one 14" bow on a spin caster's stringer. Sometimes the trout gods "just say no".

Fat Bluegill on Woven Nymph
 On the other hand, the local ponds are heating up. No shortage of action with just about any fly tied on. This becomes a great way to fish all those flies you have tied and to work on different presentation techniques.  Granted, bluegills are not trout, are not very selective and really don't get spooked, but they do spit a fly so a good cast and tight retrieve can be practiced when fishing for these guys.

Colorful Bluegill on Parachute Adams
Small Bass on Micky Finn


Also had good luck with landing bass on both nymphs and streamers.  Even had a double hook-up with a bluegill on a Klinkhammer and a small bass on a Copper John dropper.


I started tying flies about 3 years ago and one of the first was a Micky Finn.  I rarely fish this, probably because it has never produced for me, but it did come through with this small bass on the first cast.

Ian's Streamer and a Simple Pheasant Tail

Ian's beadhead black and gold streamer (exchanged in a fly swap earlier this year) continues to produce. Ian sent me two of these in the swap and, since one was lost, I tied up a couple more. While at the vise, I also tied a very simple Pheasant Tail by Ben Turpin shown on the Fly & Fin blog. I used orange thread to add in a hotspot.

I posted some more pics on the Gin Clear Facebook page as well. Do me a favor and "Like" this page, if you haven't already. Once I reach 20 "Likes" it becomes official in eyes of Facebook.




Ian's Black & Gold Streamer lands this Bass
I've yet to land a trout in 2011, but am glad there are plenty of options for warm water alternatives in my backyard. Also discovered a native brook trout stream about 5 minutes from my house.  Hooked into a small brookie about a week ago but he was camera shy and got off before a picture could be taken.

And the Red Sox.... Vowed not to post again about them until they reached .500, but here is something to get excited about.  They just took two from the Yankees in the Bronx with Josh Beckett throwing a 6 inning, 4 hit shutout last night and bullpen only giving up three more hits with no runs to close out the game.

19-20, one game shy of .500 -- will this series with the Yanks be the Red Sox turning point this season?







7 comments :

  1. Ah, the lament of the Bosox fan. We'll see Deanwo, we'll see. In the meantime, keep posting, I enjoyed this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanwo,

    Thanks for the shout-out. Love your variation, can't wait to see photos of them in the jaws of a trout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cofisher. The Sox just sweeped the Yankees in the Bronx for the first time since 2004. Now at .500 for the first time this season, they have finally turned a corner.

    No problem, Fly and Fin. The K.I.S.S. is a motto I try to live by. Ben's fly looks like a killer, now I just need to get out and prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just stumbled upon your blog and signed up to follow it. I have never caught anything off the Mickey Finn and I rarely ever fish it. But it's one of those classic patterns that they tell you that you need to tie when you start off. At least one of us has caught a fish off of one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, JGR for following! Yes, I was a little shocked when the bass hit the Micky Finn. Might have been a fluke since another 20 min. of fishing it resulted in zero strikes after the first cast.

    If you are on Facebook, I post some brief stuff there as well at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gin-Clear/191020484275850 Please "like" it to help me get a legit facebook presence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love panfish on the fly! Give me a nice sunny day, a 2w or 4w rig and a cigar and I'm happy as hell. I've never been a fish purist, if it bites, I'll fish for it. Never understood the guys who travel the world for one species of fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in and reading the blog! Need to get at lighter rod to have more fun with the pan fish.

      Delete